Alternative Assignment for Students missing the pGlo: Bacterial Transformation Lab (25 points)
1. Go to the following site:
( this virtual lab activity is nearly the same lab that you missed with adding a new gene to a bacteria).
The virtual lab for this makeup lab Go through the entire virtual lab.
Write a summary of what you learned from the virtual site. (no more than ½ a page)
Read the Student introduction to the pGlo lab (http://www.grochbiology.org/PGOBioRadLab.pdf) pages 28-31.
The class results showed the following: (watch Bozeman video to see the results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZyFX9megs8 1:19 min up to 5:03 min, don't worry that it says AP Biology this is the same lab the class will do).
Plate 1: (contained LB agar without any ampicillin or arabinose + E. coli without the plasmid): all the bacteria grew all over the plate (a lawn of bacteria)
Plate 2: (containing LB agar with ampicillin + E. coli without the plasmid): no bacteria observed
Plate 3: (containing LB agar with ampicillin + E. coli with the plasmid): colonies of bacteria that do not glow in UV light
Plate 4: (containing LB agar with ampicillin & arabinose + E. coli with the plasmid): colonies of bacteria that do glow in UV light.
Write a summary of what you learned from the pGlo introduction and the provided class results. (no more than ½ a page) answering the following questions: (no pronouns please).
1. Why is it necessary to add ampicillin to the agar?
2. Why is it necessary to add arabinose to the agar?
3. Why was the plasmid added to the original test tube containing E. coli?
4. Why was it necessary for the agar to contain both ampicillin and arabinose for you to see the GFP (green fluorescent protein)?
5. Explain how a prokaryote operon works (use an example) and how the arabinose operon in the pGlo plasmid tricks E. coli into making GFP? (here is link to help you with the operon question: http://www.phschool.com/science/biology_place/biocoach/lacoperon/intro.html
Pick ONE of the recombinant DNA products listed here on Wikipedia (insulin, HGH, factor VIII, vaccines, HIV diagnostic test, herbicide resistant crops, etc). Find at least 2 additional references and discuss in no more than ½ a page the pros and cons of using these products (are they dangerous, are they helpful, etc). (5 points)
No pronouns please.