Biology Focus Questions Chapter 9
1. What is the difference between aerobic and anaerobic respiration?
2. How are cell respiration and respiration (breathing) related?
3. During the Kreb's cycle, what happens to all the carbon in pyruvic acid?
4. Why is the Kreb's cycle called an electron harvesting reaction?
5. Where in the cell does the Kreb's cycle take place?
6. During the Kreb's cycle, is ATP made?
7. Look at diagram 9-7. Explain what happens to the e- in the ETC.
8. Look at diagram 9-7. Where does the energy come from to pump the H+ through the inner membrane?
9. Look at diagram 9-7. How is the ATP synthesized? What enzyme is responsible for this? How is this facilitated diffusion?
10. How are the totals for ATP production different between fermentation and cell respiration?
11. What other sources of "food" provide the fuel for producing ATP?
12. Not all the energy in a glucose molecule gets trapped in ATP; what happens to the rest?
13. How do our cells provide energy in a hurry?
14. What is an oxygen debt and how does it relate to lactic acid fermentation?
15. How does your body produce energy over a longer period of time (what is the involvement of glycogen, fats, and other stored molecules?)?
16. How do photosynthesis and cell respiration compare to each other? Explain!!