Sowbugs, Pillbugs & Woodlice Inquiry Lab-investigation
1. Obtain 5 sowbugs
2. Place in the chamber provided.
3. Observe them (here are some questions to help you focus...record your observations in your journal.
How do the pillbugs seem to sense their environment?
Are they all the same species?
Can you tell the difference in males and females?
How many eyes do they have?
How many legs
Do they exhibit dominance behaviors?
How do they respire?
What are some stimuli they seem to respond to?
Other questions to consider:
4. Can you name any specific actions or interactions?
5. Share out with class.
6. Your lab group needs to develop a "testable question" to do for the next class period. (includes # of trials, measurable units, anecdotal observations, data tables, graphs)
7. You can ask the teacher if materials you need are available otherwise BYO stuff.
Day 2: Testing
Go for it... you have 1/2 the period.
1. Share out
2. What statistics should you use? (Chi Square, Means, etc...)
Write-up: (all typed except item (e)). Example
of a Sowbug Inquiry Write-up
a) Title (must include a DV and IV)
b) Hypothesis (if...then...because...)
c) Computer generated data table (title, units, formatted) (how to do a data table in Word)
d) Graph (title, axes and units, x-y scatter, equations) Excel 2007 instructions Excel 2010 Instructions
e) Handwritten calculations (depends on your inquiry lab-investigation, means (averages), ratios, Chi-Square, etc).
f) Conclusion: short findings paragraph "power
conclusion", (sometimes if it doesn't load or says it
doesn't exist, paste link into google search box) and
g) citations use APA format (APA: www.bibme.org)