Accelerated Biology Fall Final Exam: Study Guide.
Modified on __6/07____
Suggestion: Copy cut and paste this into a word document, and then make more space to write answers. Save and answer the questions. Do it over and over and over.
Describe the “Central Dogma” in relation to the flow of genetic information.
81. How are retroviruses able to “defy” the Central Dogma *hint: check this link http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may96/828568300.Vi.r.html or pg 205
82. Define Transcription, where, when, & why does it occur, which enzyme is working during the process:
83. Define Translation, where, when, & why does it occur, which enzyme is working during the process:
84. To which (transcription or translation or both) do the words “initiation, elongation, termination belong. Define each of these words:
85. Describe why post transcriptional processing of mRNA is necessary.
86. What happens during post transcriptional processing of mRNA?
Poly A tail
GTP cap 9 (5' guanine cap)
88.. Diagram and label a ribosome including the A site, P site, and E site. What is the most important event that occurs at EACH site?
89. The ribosome does not exist in the cytoplasm as two subunits. When and how does it become two combined subunits?
There will be 4 essay questions on the final exam HOWEVER...you will choose only 2 of the 4 AND THE ESSAYS WILL ONLY BE READ IF YOUR SEMESTER GRADE IS WITHIN 0.5% OF THE NEXT HIGHER GRADE.