ECA: Ecology: (ecosystems, symbiotic
Directions: Work in your lab groups to
answer the following questions, make sure each member of the group understands
all the concepts. Any figures that are mentioned are found in the 8th Edition.
- What is an emergent property?
- Why would evolution ( natural selection) support
mutualism and parasitism (two seemingly opposite life strategies)? Why are the
advantages and disadvantages of the following relationships +/+, +/-, +/0?
- Contrast the 3 different types of survivorship curves.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? How are these curves
related to semelparity and iteroparity? Why is “big bang” an appropriate
definition for either semelparity or iteroparity?
- There is a relationship between climate (precipitation
and temperature) and terrestrial biomes, explain using examples.
- Explain the difference between J and S curves and relate
to R and K strategists and semelparity and iteroparity.
- What is the big deal about K (carrying capacity)?
- What is the difference between the
Logistic Growth Model and
Exponential Growth Model
- In 2006, the United States has a population of about 300
million people. If there were 14 births and 8 deaths per 1000 people, what as
the country's net population growth that year (ignoring immigration and
emigration, which are substantial)? Do you think the US is currently
experiencing exponential population growth? Explain. (the equations are
located in Ch. 53.3)
- Check out figure 53.20, explain the population cycles of
the snowshoe hare and the lynx.
- Rank the types of behavior from innate to learning. Why
is learning (any type) an example of an emergent property?
- There are at least 8 different ways of camouflage
(concealing coloration, disguise, disruptive coloration, aposematic coloration, mimicry,
deflection, countershading, masking) give an example of each in nature, name
some ways that humans utilize camouflage, see if you can find applications
for each of the natural versions (art, architecture, clothing, etc.)
Essential Questions: (Make sure you can answer the following general
How do organisms interact within their environment?
How does energy flow through an ecosystem?
How is a community created?
How do the environments of organisms differ?
What factors affect the size of a population?