Chpt 15 Focus Q's
Chpt 15.1 Focus Q's
1. What is evolution?
2. What is the theory of evolution?
3. What did Darwin notice about the giant tortoises?
4. How did the fossils Darwin observed compare with the living organisms he studied?
5. After returning to England, what hypothesis did Darwin come up with?
1. What did most Europeans believe about the earth and the species living on it?
2. The findings of new fossils led scientists to believe what?
3. What idea about the earth did Hutton and Lyell promote?
4. Complete the organizer below:
|What the Scientist proposed?||What did Darwin conclude?|
5. Why did Darwin think the earth was extremely old?
6. What were the two ideas that Lamarck was one of the first scientists to recognize about living organisms?
7. Read about Lamarck's three ideas that he proposed and complete the organizer below:
Description of Idea
8. Even though Lamarck's ideas are not necessarily accurate, why was it still important?
9. What did Malthus study and propose about the human population?
10. What kept the human population in check?
11. What did Darwin say about the offspring of other living things besides humans?
Chpt 15.3 Q's
1. What are three animals that Darwin brought back from the Galapagos that are found no where else in the world?
2. What incentive did Darwin have to publish his work?
3. What was the mechanism for evolution in his book On the Origin of Species?
4. What did he say about current living organism in regards to evolution?
5. How would you define variation within a species?
6. What convinced Darwin that there is variation within species? Give two examples.
7. What do we know today about heritable variation that Darwin didn't know?
8. Describe artificial selection and why it was (and still is) important for farmers/breeders?
9. In artificial selection, who does the selecting?
10. Read about "Evolution by Natural Selection." What is the struggle for existence? Give an example. How is it involved in evolution?
11. What is the survival of the fittest?
12. What is fitness? How do adaptations offer fitness for an organism?
13. How is survival of the fittest involved in evolution?
14. What is natural selection? How is it similar to artificial selection? Who/what does the selecting in natural selection?
15. Does natural selection choose the phenotype or the genotype directly? Explain why.
16. What is meant by "descent with modification?"
17. How is common descent the "tree of life?"
18. How long have organisms been evolving?
19. What is the fossil record? How does it support the theory of evolution?
20. What are transitional fossils? How do they support the theory of evolution?
21. What is geographic distribution? How does it support the theory of evolution?
22. We have seen the term homologous before...what does it mean?
23. What are homologous structures? How does this support the theory of evolution?
24. What are vestigial structures? Why do they remain in organisms?
25. Regarding embryology, what do the same group of embryonic cells in different organisms become?
26. Read the summary of Darwin's theory. There are 5 points. For each idea, read it and give a one-three word statement for the idea that will help you remember it.
27. Is the theory of evolution set in stone? Explain some unanswered questions and some uncertain ideas about the theory of evolution.